2 medium zucchini, raw (about 1 lbs.)
2 large spring onions, chopped
2 tbsp. minced red onion
½ cup blanched almond flour
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tbsp. fresh chopped dill
1 tsp. coarse salt
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. fresh ground pepper
Coconut oil for cooking
1. Grate the zucchini or shred it using the shredder function on your food processor.
2. Spread the grated zucchini out on a thick layer of paper towel.
3. Sprinkle the zucchini liberally with salt and let it set for about 20 minutes.
4. Cover the zucchini with another layer of paper towel and press down firmly to squeeze the excess moisture from the zucchini.
5. Transfer the zucchini to a mixing bowl and add the spring onions and minced red onion.
6. Stir well then stir in the remaining ingredients.
7. Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat and grease it liberally with coconut oil.
8. Reduce the heat to medium when the oil is hot (test the oil by flicking a few droplets of water onto it – if it is hot enough, it will hiss).
9. Drop the zucchini mixture into the hot oil using an ice cream scoop.
10. Let the zucchini fritters cook for 2 to 4 minutes until lightly browned then carefully flip them and cook until they are browned on the other side.
11. Transfer the cooked fritters to paper towel to drain and repeat with the remaining zucchini mixture.
12. Serve warm garnished with extra chopped dill.
Course: Lunch or Snack
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes